Sunday, May 5, 2013

Free Comic Book Day '13!



This Saturday I went home with a pair of sore feet, my custom sweat-soaked batman shirt, a stamp on my arm and six free comic books. I just attended my first Free Comic Book Day fair!




For those who aren't familiar with FCBD, it is an annual event held every first Saturday of May, where comic book lovers (and people who love getting free stuff) can get free comic books and buy discounted items such as graphic novels in selected book stores. My sister had attended three of four of these events in our country. I asked about her experiences for the past years, and learned so much, but then I had to learn much more firsthand.

Saturday morning, I woke up at 6:30, had a very small breakfast since my aunt isn't much of a fan of big breakfasts unlike me. Anyway, I and my sister are getting ready to go to FullyBooked in Bonifacio, one of the two selected stores this year in the Philippines, and we got there at around ten. I thought we got there early enough because the stores open at ten, but then the line went literally like two streets to the entrance of the store. 




TIP #1: Bring an extra shirt, an umbrella, a huge bottle of water, a camera, and a book or portable gaming device or whatever you need to bring, because the line and the weather can be unpredictable sometimes.

As we got on the freaking line, some folks were taking pictures of some cosplayers, some were reading books, and some were just observing everyone, which I did, just to keep from getting bored. Almost everyone was wearing a shirt with a superhero logo or at least one Marvel character on it. Some guy asked to take a picture of me because of my cropped Batman shirt. Some dudes and dudettes took videos of some people on the line, which includes me, merely because I look awesome. Long line story short: it took us more than one and a half hours on the line.

TIP #2: Go to the store early. The early ones get to eat lunch at lunchtime and get their comic book of choice.

You ask: What do you mean get their book of choice? Doesn't everyone get their choices? The answer is: No. When we got to the store, all of the titles were gone, and we were left with no choice at all. We got Superman by DC, Infinity by Marvel, and some random old-timey comics. I wanted Gerard Way and Shaun Simon's Killjoys so badly (I also hoped for Samurai X/Dragon ball, Bongo and even SpongeBob), but all we got was a generic superhero comic book, a comic book with a villain as the main character, and some random piece of I don't even.




TIP #3: Enjoy the whole event, from the line to the store and out. The line was freaking long, with a bunch of freaks and nerds which were amusing to watch and talk to, We didn't get what we hoped for was there, didn't even buy a graphic novel even if there's a huge pile of 20% offs to dig into, but I did enjoy the event, because we took pictures, even if they were only a few, Said 'hi' to the local news team's camera, saw a lot of comic books and graphic novels that I wished I could afford, and then ate a huge meal afterwards. So yeah, enjoy it! 



Just an open letter to the authorities of FCBD around the world:

Dear FCBD staff people, 
Hello, this Pretty Little Emo Boy, and I just got to experience your wonderful event. I hope this event in the next years will be a lot more awesome. I suggest that you state a fixed ratio very year, for example: one or two comic books of your choice and one featured comic book. Secondly, I suggest that you post a poll on your website, so that the number of comic books per title is enough for the number of fans, and also to track which comic book will have the most sales upon release of its whole issue. I know this is easy to say or write, and harder to impose, but I believe you guys can figure this out.
Your amazing supporter,
PLEBoy




So there you go folks. I hope we meet next year at the local bookstore. I'll wear my bunny ears so you'll know me.


Have you been to an FCBD event before? Or do you want to attend someday? What do you want me to write about next?  Did you enjoy the blog so far?  Email me at prettylittleemoboy@gmail.com ! Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment