Monday, April 24, 2017

So I've been music time-travellin' to the 60's and 70's...(Part 1)

     Hey pretty little emo guys&girls. It's been a long friggin' time since I've updated this crumby papyrus of mine. Just kidding. 

     Anyway, I've been busy with a few big projects (that I doubt I would finish soon, but I'm still hopeful :) ). I had to calm my mind during my breaks (lets be honest: Am I taking more hours of break time than work?). And to calm one's mind, one must do:
     a.) yoga
     b.) meditation
     c.) drugs
     d.) all of the above. Umm, not me! Instead I turned to good, old (literally) music. Here's 11 of the tracks in my new playlist:

From the 70's...and 60's:

1. "Fox on the Run" - Sweet (1974)

High pitched screechy male vocals and mostly sexist lyrics, no doubt it's glam rock. I'm not sure how to describe the sci-fi sounding intro... The beat is surely nod-inducing. Still don't know what she's running from, and I certainly don't want to.

2. "The Chain" - Fleetwood Mac (1977)

I never really thought I'd listen to Fleetwood Mac. I mean, I never really listened to anything near the Country genre. But this song rocks. It will pass as a hit in the present day; it just reminds me of current indie acts that I've always loved. From the guitars and bass riffs, to the dueling vocals, very neat. I don't think I'd say anything bad about this track, and I'm looking forward to listening to more from them.
  
3. "Come A Little Bit Closer" - Jay & The Americans (1964)

This is the most visual song I've heard in a while. You just can't listen to this song without smiling (or laughing). It's really brassy and cheesy, and the story is just simply hilarious.

4. "Hooked On A Feeling" - Blue Swede (1973)

"Ooga-chaka ooga-ooga"!! Everyone knows this by now. Apocalypt-ish chants slapped on a really sweet pop tune. I thought this was a recent cover of an old song; it just sounds so strange! ...In the best way. It's one of those songs where you kinda stop yourself from dancing, but you do anyway. LOL

5. "Suffragette City" - David Bowie (1972)

I never really listened to Bowie; I avoided that "being nice when someone dies" bandwagon last year. I super respected that he's artistically weird until the few moments of his life. Anyway, this track is just a pure pop rock tune perfect for long drives. That "Wham-bam, thank you, ma'am!" part is awesome. :)

Is the playlist familiar? Sure! It's from the only corny/awful(ly mainstream) movie that I'm actually excited to see this year: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2! I actually want to see it just because of the soundtrack... And Little Jimmy Urine of course, let's not forget he's there.

P.S. There's this Japanese film that I only watched because it had great music from the Showa era, titled Showa Kayo Daizenshu (Karaoke Terror). Similar to #GOTGVol2, it's not a musical; it's where the characters are obssessed with these era-specific tunes. Oh, and the beautiful Ryuhei Matsuda was there, too. Another similarity is that both of the films are pretty vio-- no, really violent, and the soundtrack is just out-of-place, yet relevant to the story (I think).

So there's 5/11 of the list. Please do read the rest here in 
PART 2!!

e-mail: prettylittleemoboy (at) gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment